Cloud image lifetimes

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 12:54:22 UTC 2015

On 03/18/2015 06:38 PM, David Gay wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> We sort of ran out of time in today's Cloud WG meeting, but I did want
> to ask:
>
> What are your thoughts on AMI lifetimes? That is to say, how long should
> EC2 AMIs exist before they're deleted? A few points to consider:

I feel like I should know this, but I don't.

If a user spins up an AMI and then it's deleted by the provider, do they
still have their instance(s) or do they lose the ability to create new
images?

That would color my response a bit.

Do we know how other projects handle theirs? If I go to spin up a Foo
Linux release from 2 years ago, is the AMI still there?

At minimum, we should probably delete any AMIs that are no longer a
supported version of Fedora, and I'd also be for deleting any TC, alpha,
beta, etc. AMIs - especially once a release is published. So, for
instance, any F21 alpha, beta, etc. AMIs can probably go to the great
bit bucket in the sky at this point.

Also wonder if this is something we need to have ACK'ed by FESCo?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Project Atomic Doer of Things