Fedora Cloud Docs

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Mar 19 15:01:01 UTC 2015

On Mar 19, 2015 6:21 AM, "Kushal Das" <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/03/15, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > On 03/19/2015 01:14 AM, Pete Travis wrote:
> > > So, as I'm working on some tooling for a new Fedora Docs site, I'd
like
> > > to know what would get *you* into writing about Fedora Cloud.  In the
> > > most direct sense, it's a question about markup and delivery, ie a
> > > collection of markdown or reStructuredText files in a git repo.  In a
> > > broad sense, anything along the lines of "I would write docs for using
> > > Fedora Cloud, if..." would be great.
> >
> > Most of the writing I do is in Markdown. Git + Markdown would be optimal
> > as far as I'm concerned.
> >
> > If a majority of folks who'll contribute are partial to some other
> > flavor of light markup, I can go with whatever, but would prefer *not*
> > Docbook or MediaWiki. Let's please do something with git to make life
> > much easier.
> >
> Few advantages of using Sphinx and rst:
>
> 1. Syntax is almost like markdown.
> 2. It has more features targeted towards devels.
> 3. If we maintain in a public git repo, we can use a service like
> readthedocs.org to build and publish the docs, we can have it in the way
> of https://docs.djangoproject.com
> 4. Many developers in the infra and apps teams are Python users, so they
> know/use reStructuredText already.
>
> Kushal
> --
> Fedora Cloud Engineer
> CPython Core Developer
> Director @ Python Software Foundation
> http://kushaldas.in

So we're on the same page, some context:  I am working on building a
backend using buildbot that we can feed arbitrary git repos containing docs
written in $format and built with $tool-for-format.  The goal is to have
all the Fedora documentation in one well organized place with little to no
contributor overhead in the process of turning markup into website.

Of course, participation is welcome and encouraged on the tooling side; but
I want it to be clear that it should not  be a *requirement* for you to
care about the tooling.  If you are going to write, you should be able to
focus on the writing.

--Pete