Note: Atomic Host integration for F22 at risk

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Mar 26 19:41:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Oh, of course. The plan being discussed is that development will land
> first in Fedora, on a two-week cycle, and then flow to CentOS. So, if
> you want to engage early, Fedora Atomic is the place — especially if
> you want to be involved in shaping the direction, but also if you want
> to follow the leading edge of fast-moving Atomic development.
>
> If you're looking to deploy primarily as an end-user, CentOS Atomic
> might be what you want. With my Fedora hat on, I think there's space
> for early adopters in Fedora too (and by design, Atomic actually should
> make it fairly easy to move back and forth as appropriate without much
> hassle). And of course, with my employer's hat on, if you want
> certification and support, RHEL Atomic is always there for you (on a
> still fast but even more conservative cycle).
>
> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader

In the end, being the hard-core Linux geek I am, I'll probably test
both. But I'm abandoning my Fedora Workstation remix in favor of
Fedora-based Docker images that will run on a Fedora Workstation, a
CentOS desktop, a Ubuntu LTS or latest OpenSUSE desktop or on Windows
or Mac via some hosting mechanism.

Right now the hosting mechanisms for Windows appear to be Boot2Docker
inside VirtualBox or Boot2Docker inside Client Hyper-V. My preference
is Client Hyper-V because VirtualBox is inefficient and has a dodgy
license. But if Atomic has advantages over Boot2Docker I'm going to go
that way and hope I can convince Microsoft to go along with me. ;-)
And I also want to be able to deploy on OpenShift, so I need to at
least have some kind of familiarity with Atomic.

--
OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.