basic plan for two-week atomic images

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 21 20:25:42 UTC 2015

This is a strawman based on my understanding of current abilities,
available software/systems, and of what the developers want. Please
poke holes, reorder, add and subtract, etc.

Phase I

1. F22 trees built nightly (already happening)
2. Images built from those nightly (I think right now only rawhide?)
3. Images go through automated tests, automatically (tunir; not fully
   automatic yet, right?)
4. Every two weeks, latest image to pass those tests gets linked
   on atomic.fpo, again all automatically (NEEDS DESIGN AND CODE)
    - probably need a manual override
    - page will present these images with appropriate setting of
      expectations ("fedora qa not to blame for anything here").
    - need something to happen if there aren't any that pass for
      two weeks, which should not happen I hope, but, y'know)
        * automatic message about image being out of date
        * next successful image automatically posted? Or do we
          skip two weeks?
    - also needs: commitment to follow and fix if things break

Phase II

5. Ability to include packages from a side tag, repo, something.
   All full, legit Fedora packages destined for main repo but maybe at
   a different speed. (Implementation needs work)
   - possibly initially just selected packages from updates-testing?

Phase III

6. Something to only expose Atomic users to _update sets_ that pass the
   tests (because, hey, we have tests!)
7. Presumably, there will be a switch to F23 as base at F23 release;
   will there be overlap (beta images) to make that smooth?
8. What else?

Phase IV

9. Expand tests beyond tunir — test installs on hardware, etc.
10. Maybe create a new, special Fedora repository for packages
    with version skew mainline Fedora — e.g. newer systemd
    or hold older Docker version for some reasons. (Up for
    discussion — that's why this is in phase 3!)
11. More what else?

Does this seem basically sane and in line with what people are
expecting? What's missing? What's extra? What's just wrong? :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>