Alternatives to cloud-init (was Re: [DISCUSS] Cloud and Server Workgroup relationship)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Nov 3 14:23:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 04:28 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Is that the same as this procedure [1]? Or else can you point at the details?
>
> [1] http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2014/10/getting-started-with-cloud-init/

Yes.  When I want to test the cloud image I often use:
https://github.com/cgwalters/homegit/blob/master/bin/walters-create-cloud-vm
for a small script which generates the ISO on demand from an already
extracted user-data file.  When using production infrastructure I normally set
https://github.com/cgwalters/ansible-personal/blob/master/cloud-init/user-data.secure
as a basic template.

I also have a `user-data.insecure` which hardcodes a password for local VMs, so
usage looks like:

sudo walters-create-cloud-vm create --user-data /home/walters/Documents/user-data.insecure --name f22-atomic-test --image Fedora-Cloud-Atomic-22-20150720.x86_64

However another important point to make here is that "run a cloud image locally
in libvirt on a workstation" is basically the use case for Vagrant - it does things
like detecting the IP address so you can `vagrant ssh` etc.