Need owner of Atomic 2 Week releases

Matthew Miller mattdm at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 16:47:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Amanda Carter <acarter at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey folks, creating a separate thread for this longer term discussion. We're getting ready to release our first 2 week atomic update on Tuesday and Dusty Mabe has raised 2 potential release blockers that were not part of automated testing. It's good that he caught them, but it's also a bit of a stroke of luck. Since there is no official QE for this release, who should own verifying that there are no release blocking bugs prior to every automated release and escalating if there are? If no one raises the blocker, we'll have no way to block the release.

Other than adding "making sure that anything found manually gets tests
added so it doesn't reoccur", I don't have much to add to this except
for saying that I also recognize the need.

Paul Frields tells me that no one on his team (Fedora Infrastructure
Engineering) is in the right position to do this overall. That team --
along with Fedora Release Engineering -- has been working on making
sure that the release artifacts get constructed, but aren't experts in
what goes _in_ them. (It's nice that we're at the point where the
problems are on the inside, I guess!)

I think it needs to be someone who is deeply connected to the teams
working on Atomic development, but who is also given this is a core
responsibility and guaranteed the time for making sure things work in
Fedora specifically.

I hope that over time we can grow community around this, but that's in
a chicken and egg situation. (I can elaborate on that if it's not
obvious to everyone...)

--
Matthew Miller • Fedora Project Leader