Mo's proposed fedora atomic logo

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 12:48:09 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 05:10 PM, Haïkel wrote:

>> If I didn't already know about the cloud base image as its own
>> WG and such, I would have looked for it as a variant of the Server
>> product.
>>

> It makes sense (that's why we support the cattle-to-pet scenario), but
> server folks are focusing towards a different segment.
> If you read about bimodal IT (thanks Gartner for feeding me with funny
> buzzwords), server is focusing to traditional IT (mode 1) and cloud to
> agile IT (mode 2).
>
> Depending how things evolve around containers, we might consider that
> cloud should solely focus on Atomic and maybe transfer ownership of
> the classic image to server WG. But this is too early for considering
> this.
> After all, we decided to make Atomic primary to boost it, and refine
> our story around it.

I think we're over-estimating where users are in the "magic bi-modal IT
devops agile transformation quadrant" (which I hear Gartner is calling
it now).

I think there's a fairly close mapping from where users are in the
adoption cycle to what page they need to get to.

Early adopters -> Atomic
Early majority -> Cloud/Server
Late majority/long tail -> Server/Workstation

There's your early adopters are already all about containers and know
they want Atomic, and they'll go get it. We don't even really need to
highlight it very much, just mention "Atomic is a cloud thing for
containers" and they'll be all over it.

The early majority has some stuff in the cloud already, and probably
still have some "pets" either on real hardware or long-lived VMs. They
might look at Atomic to evaluate it, but are likely still going to have
Cloud or Server as their bread and butter. Highlighting atomic from the
cloud page and the main getfedora.org would help us get these users into
Atomic.

The "early majority" will still have the Cloud/Server products as their
main consumption for quite some time, and even if we think containers
are where the cloud is going, there aren't going to be loads of users
there for a while.

I'm not sure that transferring the cloud image over to the Server WG
makes much sense, since the Cloud WG has the expertise and infra to
maintain it already.
--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.