[fab] Google's Summer of Code 2006

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 14:51:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 18:11 -0500, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> Last year, Google sponsored the Summer of Code program, which introduces
> collegiate students to open source development by connecting them with
> mentors and providing initiative.  The Fedora Project participated and
> provided mentoring for 12 projects.  These had mixed results but provided us
> with some valuable tools, including our Live CD generator and a tool that
> we're currently working on adding to our infrastructure to gather hardware
> usage information from our users.

As mentioned by others, the biggest lesson from last year's SoC (both
for us and also mirrored by a number of other projects) is that the best
projects are things which can easily be integrated into an existing body
of code.  And being clear that part of the SoC objective is getting the
code integrated is pretty important, too.

Jeremy