[fab] brand v. proprietary

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 13:53:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 14:12 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> I don't know much about the devnation stuff that Red Hat was going to do
> in the first place.  Can you give us a little more background?

Developer Nation is our one-stop developer community resource.  This is
an intentional direction Red Hat is taking, to provide infrastructure
that supports developer collaboration beyond the ad hoc FLOSS projects
we put together as we need them.

It has different meaning to different people, but I'll ignore all the
marketing positioning stuff for here to focus on what it means to FLOSS.

Our first mission is to serve developers who use FLOSS but are not
active in the communities or otherwise need a central location to learn
about and be part of FLOSS.

In this job, we are providing a collaboration portal focused on content
about FLOSS -- raw materials (blogs, mailing list entries), slightly
polished (del.icio.us links, quick Wiki articles), and fully complete
(submitted or sought articles, polished content from people.r.c).

I expect to see early uptake by:  RH developers moving from e.g.
people.r.c; RM product and program managers who want to talk directly
with developers at ISVs, IHVs, and enterprise IT shops; many of the RH
partners, small and large; early adopter developers who hear about it
and are looking to increase their knowledge of and visibility within
FLOSS; Fedora developers looking for better, faster project and
collaboration space; and so forth.

Now that I'm close enough to talk about this thing for real, I think
I'll take this message as a starting point and do some real blogging
about it. :)

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/