F7 Plan (draft)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 17:49:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 11:32:03AM -0500, Tim Burke wrote:
 > Bill Nottingham wrote:
 > > Got more? Let me know!
 > >

 > What about laptop suspend/resume.  I thought that was a never-ending saga.

Most of it is on the userspace side.  We still need video driver help
on some chipsets, and different pm-utils rules for different combinations etc.
Slowly but surely this stuff is moving towards HAL.
DavidZ and Richard Hughes have been doing a bunch of work on this.

Oh and then there's the 'system wide power management' thing rather than
having it per-user session as it is right now.  I'm not at one with the
details on that, but I heard mumblings of PolicyKit the last time it was
brought up, and don't know how far along that is.

>From the kernel side: there's talk of moving some of the video mode setting
from the X drivers to the kernel.  This has been discussed for about three
years now. No-one seems to actually be doing the work.
There's also still a few hundred drivers that lack suspend/resume callbacks.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk