[fab] Re: splash page + tracking image example

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 5 15:23:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 11:02 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> > I don't believe we can.  In my opinion, we need *urgently* to start
> > somewhere.  It's the difference between building a funding plan now and
> > building it 6-9 months from now.
>
> This paragraph sums up my concern best.  Greg did a superb job of
> elaborating the issues, so I won't prat on about it, but he is 100%
> correct when he says that any significant Fedora funding decisions require
> stronger metrics than we have been able to provide.
>
> Each day that we don't change that is a day in which we don't do anything
> to help ourselves.
>
> So from a high level I can say something like "I don't want us to ship fc6
> without having some way to track how many people are actually *using*
> fc6".  The firefox idea was a good way to track "Desktop" users -- folks
> who have installed X.
>
> Basically just counting unique IP addresses via yum is a good way to track
> many different types of installations, basically people who are updating
> regardless of their package set.

No, it's not.  DHCP, NAT, proxies, etc. all make "unique" IP addresses a
horrible metric.  In some cases, you get a single IP address for a
number of different machines.  In others, you get two IP addresses for
the same machine.

Yes, counting IP addresses will give you a metric.  I just don't think
that metric is good for much because you still don't know how many
machines really have Fedora installed.  Is it better than nothing?  I
don't know.

josh