[fab] Metrics: What we *could* get

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 16:46:37 UTC 2006

On 10/6/06, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Since we're all in the metrics mood I thought it would be good to get
> a list of stats I think we could get, from a technology point of view,
> not from a 'we should' view.  Hopefully to get us thinking about what
> we can do for FC7.

What I learned in trying to help RH get good metrics on webpages and
marketing schemes was 2 things:

1) Perfect is the enemy of the good.

2) Most people do not know what statistics they want until they see them.

We are not going to get perfect statistics. The biggest problem is
accepting that and figuring out what we can live with during each
release cycle.  We will know that any number we have has a counting
error.. and if we use 2-3 'independant' methods, we can figure out
what that error margin is.

After we collect that data, FAB and the people who pull its strings
will say "can you figure out" something we didnt count.. some of that
we will be able to do and some we wont.