[fab] Metrics: What we *could* get

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 14 02:25:00 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> sv> or that someone bought a .kz domain.
>
> That host resolves to two IP addresses; both are allocated out of RIPE
> space to companies in Kazakhstan; a trace to one goes via a
> terrestrial route via Moscow and the other traces through IntelSat.
>
> So it's really in KZ.
>
>  - J<

So now the question is how to count something like our current mirrors
leader at present the top 'ip' has over 16,000 hits.  12 days in
that's over 1,300 hits per day.  If we assume that the machines 'phone
home' 1 time per day, that's 1300 machines that might get counted as
one.

Perhaps our best bet is to count these groups as 1 install on the low
end, and 1300 on the high end.  I'm working on getting some usable
scripts together for the raw numbers and I'd like more input for the
logic.

Thoughts?  Would this discussion be more appropriate on fedora-devel?

                 -Mike