[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 14:29:03 UTC 2006

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> 108 *is* the right solution, even if it still needs some work.  Instead of
> throwing 108 aside, push to get 108 improved to do the job.  I also think
> SourceForge would be a viable solution for some of these projects, but where
> these people decide to host their projects is really up to them.  Our
> position is simply to say "This is not the right place for your project, we
> recommend that you try one of these other options..."  Some might even prefer
> to use Google's new service.
>
> It would be great for us to support these projects to the best of our ability,
> but we should keep projects of these sorts separate from the infrastructure
> that builds the distribution.  They are different types of projects that need
> different solutions.

I really think that depends on the type of project we're talking about.
  To put it in more concrete terms, the livecd project it something
that's specific to us.  It's not distro-independent, and probably never
will be.  Given how long it took to even get my login working on 108, I
don't think that it's a viable thing to sell to the community.
Especially given that it's not even an open project.

And it was my impression that it was for Red Hat to interact with its
customers, not for a way for Red Hat to interact with the larger
community of developers.  Karsten might correct me on that, but I don't
think I'm doing anyone an injustice by saying that.

--Chris