Fedora Board Recap 2007-JUL-31

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 01:31:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:23:13 -0700
Manas Saksena <msaksena at marvell.com> wrote:

> The second thing is that the kind of distros that can be done with the
> current set of tools is rather limited. To get real benefit, I think
> you have to enable users to build custom/derivative distributions
> where the derivative distro can make source level changes to
> packages, add new packages, etc.
>
> OLPC is doing this today. Fedora-ARM is relevant only if it is able to
> do this.
>
> There is not much needed from Fedora to support this -- and it does
> not really change much of what Fedora is. But, by explicitly
> supporting the activity, Fedora can increase its developer/user base.
> And, as ideas mature in those derivative projects, some of them can
> be adapted back into the main project (along with the
> developers/users who care about it in the first-place).

One of the things I continue to stress as we make these new compose
tools is that they work from the basis of a yum repo.  How one
populates that yum repo is an exercise left up to the developer.  Given
that these great tools can be used with fedora rpms, with your own
rpms, with Joe's rpms, etc.. so long as they are in yum repos available
at compose time.  We try to keep all the buildsystem specific junk out
of these tools and in other specific tools designed to get you as far
as a set of yum repos and hand off.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora