thinking about the Fedora brand (WARNING: this is for you)

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 21:37:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 02:06 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> I watched the slideshow.
> Seems to be our brand is being defined for us by others - which is a
> way
> of saying we're not saying enough about what fedora is.

Sort of.  Having not yet looked at the presentation, a couple of things
that I've learned from our (wonderful) branding folks inside of Red Hat
about brands in general:

1. "A brand is a sponge."  They absorb all kinds of things, good and
bad.  And you don't necessarily get to choose what it is.

2. Your perception of what a brand is and the actual perception of
people outside of an organization can be completely different.  Very
often if you want to figure out what people think about a brand you have
to find other people and ask them.  And be ready to hear something you
didn't expect.

--Chris