FESCo/FPB vote counting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Aug 13 05:04:53 UTC 2007

On 13.08.2007 00:25, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:59:37 -0500
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Axel Thimm wrote:

>>> That sounds very little. Aren't we more like at least four times as
>>> many packagers alone? And weren't there even non-packagers admitted
>>> to vote? QA/doc/managment (I hope Max was allowed to vote :) etc?
>
> Yes.  I believe that we had roughly 10% voter turnout.
>
>> Its a sad thing to say but...
>>
>> "Most people were american, so no one went voting"
>
> Heh, perhaps.
>
>> I could be wrong, but I bet apathy played a roll in low voter
>> turnout. Or a lack of knowledge about the candidates.
>
> I think it's likely the latter.  But apathy probably played a part as
> well.

I was one of those that got the election idea for FESCo realized, but
these days I'm wondering if it's the right way (the low voting count is
just one of the reasons for this thought). Maybe it's time for something
else that matches the "those that do the work can make the decisions"
criteria better. Then maybe more people would simply do something to
make Fedora better and not rely on FESCo members to do the work (same
for other groups maybe). In other words: more a coordinated wiki-style
approach where a group like FESCo (or the Board) only mediates and helps
pushing stuff forward.

Sure, FESCo (or the Board) would still be needed in case people can't
agree one something (which for sure will happen), but maybe that
committee could be constituted not my election and more by "those that
did the work in the past {months,year}".

Just my 2 cent (in a effort to get rid of some of the bureaucracy which
evolved over the past years (yes, I know that I played a big role in that)).

CU
knurd