Respin (revisited)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 18:57:57 UTC 2007

Can someone give me a technical definition of exactly what Fedora is
considering a respin?  Seems like a lot of people say "A respin is super
top of cool shape in the world!!1!!one!"  But I'm not quite sure what
that means?  Take the following three scenarios:

Scenario 1) Using only software available on our mirrors, someone has
created a respin and wants us to host it.

Scenario 2) Using only software available on our mirrors, someone has
created a respin by mixing our mirrors with some re-compiled software
and wants us to host it.  The main difference here is they have
re-compiled one or two of our SRPMS with different flags *or* they've
taken the F7 distribution and merged some SRPMS from rawhide in it.
Again, this is all fedora software though it has been 'altered' in a way
that is different from how we ship it.

Scenario 3) Using software available on our mirrors as well as some
backgrounds and templates available on a creative commons website (or
some other Open Source content website) a user has created a respin and
wants us to host it.

Which of the above scenarios are we considering 'OK'?

Second, when we agree that something is an official spin, answer the
following questions:
What are they asking us to do?
Is this a bootable CD/DVD?
A live cd?
Is this the RPMS and boot images?
Could it be all of the above?
How does the user keep this re-spin up to date?
Is what we are storing just a diff of what they've changed?
When do we stop hosting something, does it have the same release cycle
as the rest of Fedora?

    -Mike