Merge Review: rpm

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Aug 25 00:33:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:

>> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewskiwrote:
>>
>> That depends on who contacts him. To me, he's been quite
>> approachable, but I imagine there are some @redhat folks he
>> won't talk to. IMHO your generalization is unfounded.

> I don't have a redhat.com address, contacted him in a
> friendly manner, pointed out that making rpm behave like
> dpkg would break Fedora and RHEL and was accused of
> premature ejaculation. Pointing out that this was a rude
> remark he started practicing his French and Greek on me.

Axel ---

You can persist in stating your side as though it is gospel
fact until you are blue in the face, but this is not what I
see from the archive I maintain of the interchange in
question.

Nor does it have relevance as to the technical merit of the
rpm5.org's ability to co-exist side by side with the Red Hat
maintained variant.

In this thread, people are stating assumptions about technical
behaviours of rpm5 code which clearly reflect that they have
NOT tested, nor looked, nor done the install.

It may be sensible to tone down the rush to torches and
pitchforks to chase rpm5 away, to look first.

-- Russ Herrold