Live Fedora start page proposal

Donald Fischer dff at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 15:26:06 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >  * Fedora-tuned search features.  For example, we can make it easy to
> > search for Creative Commons licensed content, a feature that should be
> > especially interesting and relevant to Fedora users.
>
> Is this a commercial deal with Creative Commons or just something we are
> doing because our interests are aligned to the extend it is?

Our idea was that supporting open content would be of interest to the
Fedora community.  Not sure what commercial deal might be possible
with Creative Commons around something like this -- was there a
commercial element to the recent F7 based CC spin that I missed?

> >  * Opportunity for ad-subsidized sponsorships.  Fedora's large user
> > audience is potentially valuable to web search providers whose
> > business is to display contextual text ads next to search results.
>
> Are you thinking of putting ads in the home page itself or just the
> usual ads on search results that we aren't directly involved with?

The idea would be that we'd get a share of the revenue from ads that
you already see on a commercial web search results page like those
from google.com or search.yahoo.com.  Not adding any more ads to the
experience that would otherwise be there, just getting some credit to
Fedora for the audience it is driving.

> > We put together a working prototype in order to make the discussion
> > concrete, which you can try out here:
> >
> >    http://start.fedoraproject.org
> >
> > That design and functionality there is definitely not set in stone,
> > but gets the basic idea across and would be a serviceable starting
> > point for user testing.
>
> The Fedora 7 link should be fedoraproject.org instead of
> fedora.redhat.com FYI

Yep, already noted, easy fix.

thanks,

don