[Fwd: Fedora & openSUSE meeting / cooperation ?]

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Feb 9 05:09:45 UTC 2007

tor, 08 02 2007 kl. 23:01 -0600, skrev Josh Boyer:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 05:43 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> > tor, 08 02 2007 kl. 21:44 -0600, skrev Josh Boyer:
> >
> > > How is OpenSuSE ensuring that the changes they integrate into their projects
> > > are not encumbered by patents given their parent's deal with Microsoft?
> >
> > That one is quite easy, the patent deal only covers the respective
> > companies customers/users, Microsoft could still sue Novell for
> > infringing on patents and vice virsa. So they pretty much have to show
> > the same care as the rest of us or face being at the wrong end of the MS
> > patent cannon.
>
> Yes.  The potential outcome wasn't my question.  What they are doing to
> actively avoid that is what I asked.  E.g. what processes do they
> follow, etc.

Since they run the same risks as we do I assume they do the same kind of
prevention as we do. Never the less it would be good to know their
review process, we might be able to learn from each other.

- David Nielsen

--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”