why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Max Spevack max at spevack.org
Wed Jan 3 17:52:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Luis Villa wrote:

> Admit that RHEL is the driving force behind Fedora right now, state that
> it is a goal that RHEL be just one of many, and work in that direction.
> But don't pretend it is otherwise right now- it makes you look bad.

I don't think we've been shy in saying that RHEL is the primary consumer
of the upstream that Fedora provides.

But at the same time, the entire point of Fedora 7 is to detach the RHEL
and Fedora in a way that makes community (non-RH) ownership and
contribution to Fedora easier and greater than it ever has been.  The
challenge is then on RHEL to adapt itself to take full advantage of what
is going on in Fedora.

I think that the Fedora messaging that I see coming from the Board-level
types, as well as myself, is very honest about the realities of the
Fedora-RHEL relationship.  I try very hard to make sure that when we talk
about Fedora, we are the least BS or corporate-speak people around.

But I prefer to acknowledge those things and then talk about how we want
it to change.

A year ago at this time the "how we want it to change" part was all
vaporware.  Now it's a partial reality, more each day.  Look at pungi, the
livecd, the build system/fedora 7 goals.  So I think we're on the right
track.

--Max