why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Max Spevack max at spevack.org
Wed Jan 3 17:59:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Josh Boyer wrote:

> To be fair, Luis has a point.  OLPC semi-counts.  It's another Red Hat
> driven (and funded) project, however with a much more philanthropic
> goal.  If RHEL (and Red Hat) were to disappear today, I believe Fedora
> would live on.  But I believe it would live on as a shadow of it's
> current state today for quite some time.

As Elliot Lee once said, "my goal at work is to make myself unnecessary".

If Red Hat disappeared tomorrow, would Fedora be in better shape than if
Red Hat had disappeared a year ago?  Yes.

As long as that statement is still true a year from now, we're doing the
right things.

Part of my job (and you guys are the ones who tell me when I'm doing it
well and when I'm dropping the ball) is to make sure that the resources
Red Hat *does* give to Fedora are in the best interests of Fedora as a
community project.  And all the credit in the world here to Jeremy Katz
for his tireless work in selling the Fedora 7 vision (which is all about
using Red Hat resources to make Fedora both better and more indepenent) to
lots of folks within Red Hat.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://spevack.org