why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 00:26:41 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham schrieb:

> > As for any sort of long-term Fedora support, what we need to see is
> > some sort of market for it - we had the inital Legacy, and, realistically,
> > NO ONE WANTED IT ENOUGH to actually work on it.
>
> Maybe it died because it/we tried to much? I think we should be able to
> get enough people together to support only one distro for a longer time
> at a certain period, e.g.:
>
> FC6 -> supported until FC8 get's out + one month = 13 months basic
> support. Support FC6 after that by a new Fedora Legacy for for another
> 18 months = 31 Month or round about two and a half years in total. FC11
> would be out by then and we could start maintaining FC9 for another 18
> months (it would be otherwise EOL by then)...

The biggest problem was that the most Get Work Done (GWD[TM]) people
were interested in a single release or two, and once that release was
past.. they went elsewhere. The vast number of people/companies who
asked questions were basically free-loaders. [Technically I consider
myself a free-loader because I dont think I did enough to help things]
They wanted to get updates for free and they either wanted the latest
stuff (PHP-5 on Fedora Core 1) or they wanted to make sure it was
stable (only bug fixes, NO API changes).

There is nothing but inertia from stopping you from doing this.. but
there is no impetus to start it because A) people who want super
stable are served better by other products (Centos, Ubuntu, etc) or B)
those who want the newest will stay with Fedora X.