Was it a failure to not do Fedora 7 CD's

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 5 18:47:19 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> from looking at the F7-feedback I saw on the lists, in reviews, in blogs
> and in other places I more and more think it was a failure to not do a
> CD version of the "Fedora" spins.
>
> Seems people are quite unhappy; the two main reasons afaics are:
>
> * people did not realize yet to use the Live-CD for installs
>
> * updates from FC6 to F7 are not possible with Live-CDs; thus people
> that don't own a DVD reader can only update via network based installs,
> with is not that well known (is that documented somewhere probably),
> error-pone and require a internet router (which not everybody owns; I
> for example would not be able to update by home server, because that's
> my internet router (via PPPoe and a DSL-Modem) and it has only a CD
> reader (sure, I did a yum update ;-) ))

I think the "right" way to solve the problems are

  * Enable "live" upgrades to be done better
  * Get yum-presto up and running by default
  * Look into integrating jidgo.

Even if we provide people CD versions of the "Fedora" spins they don't
contain all the packages and some people are bound to be unhappy with that.

Rahul