rawhide and Fedora QA [was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM]

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jun 10 09:49:01 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 11:47:04PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> Returning to an old rant, where I described some of the reasons I was
> still using Ubuntu:[1]
>
> On 1/3/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> >* QA: Ubuntu aggressively pushes people to use their development
> >branch and report problems, which leads to better, more stable final
> >releases. At the time I chose to use Ubuntu, people were not just not
> >encouraged, but actively discouraged from using rawhide. This is
> >improving...
>
> When I went looking for rawhide information tonight, I found it
> impossible to find, so maybe I take back what I said about the
> situation improving :/ Try googling for 'fedora rawhide', or 'rawhide
> site:fedoraproject.org' and see what you get.
>
> What is up with that? I ask here because it could be a web or
> marketing team problem (page exists, but needs SEO love) or because it
> could be a QA team problem (page forgotten about?[2] page not deemed
> to be required?)

The term rawhide stems from before Fedora (Core). During Fedora Core 1
and later there was a marketing effort to rename it to development. So
any rawhide references have been officially changed to development.

But rawhide is such a persistant name that it just doesn't fade away :)

Don't ask me why it was decided to not use this name anymore, maybe
because it was derived from and resembles too much Red Hat
("Raw-Hide")? But people need a name for the next to come release, so
rawhide is still used.

Maybe if instead of a generic name like "development" it would get a
code name then people would really drop using the term rawhide. Or
Fedora could just reembrace the term "rawhide" and use it more
prominently in the wiki, as most developers use the term rawhide
anyway on lists, irc etc.

So to come back to your problem: Just look for "development" instead
of "rawhide" in the wiki.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net