rawhide and Fedora QA [was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM]

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 15:26:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:20:07AM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
 > On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 12:01 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
 > >  because we IMHO heavily discourage people to run
 > > rawhide.
 >
 > I wonder if this is some kind of leftover Red Hat prejudice?
 >
 > Ironically, rawhide is more unstable because not enough people are
 > running it.
 >
 > Personally, I do all my business work using Fedora.  I can risk a few
 > hours here and there, but I won't run rawhide if I can't be sure it is
 > more stable than currently advertised.

Something to note is that people have different perception of 'stable' too.
With the kernel changing on an almost daily basis, you can pretty much
forget having kmod's working most of the time due to API churn and
associated breakage.   Likewise, various other add-ons that people like
to grab from livna, freshrpms etc will be busted six ways to sunday.

People expecting this sort of thing to keep working in rawhide will be
in for a surprise.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk