governance, fesco, board, etc.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 12 06:10:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:42:16PM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> <disclaimer>
> I have a very primitive understanding of FESCo.  Each time I try to
> understand it (asking on fedora-devel or searching the wiki) I have come
> up empty-handed.  I'm not against FESCo, I simply do not understand what
> it is supposed to be or do.

History is important here. fesco was the head of the Extras section
and was in charge of all bits around it. The general Fedora direction
was given by the board. As such fesco has been good at making
technical decisions. After the merge it also changed its name to
reflect that (making "extras" to "engineering").

The current model that Max targets is to document separation of

o strategical or large scale political decisions,

from the

o execution and implementation thereof

If you want to compare to other models, maybe the CEO/CTO model could
apply next (although still very different). Or maybe the
captain/executive officer model would also be comparable.

The issue of middle-managemnt you named (but I already trimmed, sorry)
is what is being tried to be avoided. Consider the many SIGs/subgroups
etc. offsprings of fesco, e.g. fesco could theoretically harbor all of
them inside fesco from the authoritative POV, but that would
practically lead to chaos. So anything that looks larger and still
self-contained is separated off fesco and attached beneath of it. That
way the board has only vertical interface and can focus on its core
tasks.

So in short: The board gives the direction and fesco brings you there.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net