governance, fesco, board, etc.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 12 08:05:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 09:40:22AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> [about RH controlled board being above fesco]
> Exactly this is the point I want to see changed in near future, and feel
> to be inevitable to be changed mid-term if Fedora wants to be a success.

Do you feel like Fedora is not a success due to that model? I think
both that Fedora is a success and what is not working properly is not
due to RH imposing any pressure.

> ATM, I am seeing to many "dark room" decisions taking effect, which are
> not in the community's interest.

Very true, but I don't think there is a difference between community
and RH here. My personal dark chamber blues are led by a community
member.

> > If you like, you could consider that some part of the fesco
> > non-technical powers it once had have been elevated to the board,
> > and vice versa the board dropped micro-managing into engineering
> > related questions. Since you get to vote part of the board the
> > community has not lost any powers.
>
> Well, I'd agree if this FESCo was to replace current FAB or if FAB was
> "just consulting FESCo".

(BTW I think FAB != board, FAB are the couple dozens of people on this
list, while the board are 9 people)

> However, as I perceive it, Fedora actually is controlled by FAB, who
> leaves some "administrational peanuts" to FESCo - Pretty poor, IMO.

You need a singular controlling instance in every scheme, be that a
Linux distribution, a company, a goverment, or even a gang.

> Hmm, my vision of a Fedora government is Fedora to be governed by a
> "parliament" populated with both RH and community
> delegates/representatives. How to label such a parliament (be it FAB or
> FESCo) is secondary.

But that's how the board will work, 4 people get elected (community)
and 5 appointed from RH. You get the mix you mention.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net