governance, fesco, board, etc.

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jun 13 09:17:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:43:09 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 12.06.2007 21:22, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:10:59 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers
> >
> > [...]The strange table layout makes it worse.
>
> Back then when I created it as draft there were lots of people that said
> "I like the new layout much better" so I made it the new front page.
> When I was FESCo chair I kept an eye on it, but I have enough to do with
> EPEL these days so I stopped.

When I still edited the old main page in an attempt to keep relevant
information easy to access, somebody else broke its basic structure a few
times in disagreement. Hence I stopped keeping an eye on the page.

> Anyway:
>
> > [...] Meanwhile the page is crowded.
>
> Yes, since then lot's of stuff got added, and it yet again needs
> somebody to clean up that mess.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth." (Zuviele Köche verderben den Brei.)

What had started as the Fedora Extras home page has turnt into a strange
mix of content somewhat related to packaging, but despite its page title
starts with an out-of-date section "For Users".

One cannot edit this main page anymore without looking up the individual
"sub-pages" at the bottom and editing them instead of the main page.

The individual pages that are included in the table are full of
unstructured unsorted information, e.g.

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MainPageDevelopers

> > Nobody with expertise on creating
> > quality web page seems to have the final say about it.
>
> I multiple times on the list proposed that we need one or two "wiki
> masters" with Packaging knowledge that coordinate the different efforts
> in Packaging/, PackageMaintainers/ and Extras/; but this is a volunteer
> based project and nobody stepped up afaics (and it seems FESCo doesn't
> care to much about it either these days).

Historically, FESCo members have had to step forward and take some of the
work-items on the agenda. Nowadays, there's a show of approval in IRC when
somebody introduces eye-candy like a Wiki theme or a table-layout (which
squeezes a page with 17 bullets into a narrow column), but the content
itself is in a desolate state.