governance, fesco, board, etc.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 13:23:17 UTC 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007 08:01:37 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > I have to call BS on this one.
>
> Ask yourself. Is anything about this really working?

Yes, for many things and many cases things are working quite well.  There are
some rough spots, nobody is saying it's perfect, but to say that it's
completely non-functional is just bologna.

> Just today, a kernel without its infrastructure (broken deps) has been
> released.

Yes, dep checking on the updates tree is something that is in need of work.
It is a feature that is yet to be implemented.  Care to help?

> Yesterday, I found a bug in your new mock release candidate ... and
> wanted to reject this package of yours in bodhi, but I could not find
> any means to reject this package (seemingly pending something I presume
> to be a release queue).

FESCo / QA / rel-eng has yet to create/approve any reasonable guidance for
updates.  There are many like /you/ that would prefer there were no
roadblocks whatsoever and maintainers would be allowed to push whatever they
want whenever they want.  And yet now you're looking for a way to /stop/ an
update?

Why don't you help us figure out what a reasonable work flow is for creating
update candidates, getting them into testing (the mock you tested wasn't even
released to updates-testing yet, you snaked it from CVS), allowing or
disallowing random maintainers from "blocking" a release, etc...   You did
the right thing this time by filing a bug report.  You also could have left a
comment in the Bodhi page for this update, however that isn't very well
advertised as it isn't generally accepted that this is the proper way to
gather input.

We've released the tool and are making use of it in the best we can to get
updates out for the release.  Now that the tool is out there and usable, now
is the time to get more input on how it should be fine tuned and how we can
make the workflow better.  If we had waited for every committee to hash out
over every workflow item we'd still not have an update tool, let alone a
release.  Luke asked for feedback quite often and the bodhi code/test stuff
has been up for a while, but as usual nobody yells until something goes into
production.

> Now you come along an swear at me?

I'm sorry you don't like my abbreviated language.  The rest of us don't like
your un-abbreviated extremely rude and brash attitude.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora