Thread getting off-topic? (was: governance, fesco, board, etc.)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 15 09:27:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 07:35:22PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
[criticism about bodhi, bad kernel push, repoclosure missing etc.]

I think this thread has gone off-topic and everyone has been part of
doing so.

The thread started with Max trying to define the roles of the board
and fesco (and all subgroups etc). I think we should return to this
part, e.g. to have a proper text to put somewhere on the
wiki. Hopefully the constructive parts are not lost in the bad SNR of
this thread.

The points this thread have moved to are now by definition far from
being the board's topic. Yes, there are bugs here and there, and tools
need some fixing and so on - this is normal day-to-day business in
Fedora, "a fast moving distribution" (wikipedia), and it's far better
than the opposite direction, stability through stagnation.

So please these topics belong to fedora-maintainers and perhaps
fedora-infrastructure/buildsys. They are also clearly
technical/engineering nature making them fesco business.

Please move this discussion to the right places and only escalate to
fesco and then to board if something is really in need to do so (like
people not accepting patches to fix things). The current situation of
bumpiness required due to many and large structural changes (the Core
and Extras merger) has been blessed by all parties, be that the board,
fesco, Red Hat or community or my wife's cats and bunnies.

And it was known that it would be bumpy. Otherwise we'd have this
merger with FC1 and not wait until F7. During FC1-6 we had a slow and
stable convergence between Core and Extras, and perhaps if we would
wait until FC25 in 2016 we'd have a smother integration. But no one
wanted to wait any longer. I'm really glad we did that now and the
bumpy aftermath is even smoother than I would have personally imagined
(in fact I silently thought it would be a disaster looking at that
many changes done last minute and was positively surprised how fast
bugs and missing features were being added!).

You can't eat the dog and feed the pie, too. Or was it vice versa? ;)

Anyway, let's get the subthreads where they belong:

fab list:     some final wording about the organisational hierarchy
    	      and relation of entities among each other for the wiki
fesco:	      overlooking buildsys, infrastructure, releng for
	      smoothing up the aftermath
buildsys&infrastructure: Suggestions, patches for koji, bodhi and friends
maintainers:  everything that doesn't fit the above.

Perhaps the above is not the perfect mapping, if you have a better
rerouting map, please fix the above. The main theme is to move
technical discussions away from this list.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net