LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Thu May 3 22:36:32 UTC 2007

On May  1, 2007, "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> First doing this breaks the "Work with Upstream" on this.

> I would say that the first step would be for Alexandre Oliva and
> similar minded people to create a SIG and then build a working
> kernel+tools around Fedora 7 final to get a working design done.

It looks like there's a lot of confusion as to what I'm talking about.

For the nth time, I'm not talking about removing the non-Free firmware
that's "hidden" in the kernel.  Not doing so is a stand-still that
might be acceptable.

I'm talking about *not* adding *more* non-Free firmware as separate
packages.  Adding them is a step away from freedom, the stated goal of
the project.

That said, yes, cleaning the Fedora kernel from non-Free firmware
sounds like an interesting project I should probably get my hands on.

But don't let this other topic get you confused as to the point I'm
trying to bring up here.  It's just a distraction.