Fedora Remix - Clarification

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Wed Dec 10 21:03:10 UTC 2008

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:42:23AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Chris Tyler wrote:
>>
>>> Rahul,
>>>
>>> If you want to call it "Fedora", then make it official.
>> Oh, believe me. I tried.  I got one of the dozen spins hosted at
>> http://spins.fedoraproject.org and then it was stopped because of lack
>> of space or it was considered too much effort for composing all the
>> different variants or some much.
>
> I'm confused on something here.
>
> Can't you create the "Fedora Hindi Spin" if it otherwise meets the
> spin guidelines, then host it where you would a Fedora Remix?
>
> I don't recall that spins are required to be hosted from
> spin.fedoraproject.org, it's more a matter of what packages are in the
> composition.
>
> - Karsten

Well, I'm not sure if I got it correctly, but as far as I understood the
policies, you need...

* Spin SIG's approval to get your kickstart file into the GIT repo

* Board's approval to be able to use the Fedora trademark, which
requires you to only use software that is in Fedora

* Rel-Eng's approval, which includes hosting on spins.fp.o and the
release of the spin together with a specific version of Fedora, so that
you can e.g. make it into the release notes or so

 From my understanding, one should be able to get Spin SIG's approval
(for the technical side) and board's approval (for the legal / trademark
side) and host the spin then somewhere else, without having rel-eng's
approval. That way, you should be able to call it "Fedora [Something]
Spin" without having it hosted on spins.fp.o...

But that's just how I got it. Might be wrong, though.

--Sebastian