What makes a spin a Spin?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 03:47:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:19:53 -0900
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Officially approving localized spins is perfectly acceptable to me,
> >  however hosting them and pushing them through the rel-eng process
> >  (still being defined) seems largely to be overkill.  I think we should
> >  reserve that for "Featured Spins", and allow creation and hosting of
> >  smaller spins to be done elsewhere.
>

> Here's the problem...

Speaking for me alone...

> Do we want localized spins to be able to use the Fedora trademarks?

Yes.

> Do we want the Fedora trademarks to be applied only to things that
> have been vetted through some technical review process?

To a degree, yes.  Defining that degree is in large part what is needed.

> Does releng want to always be a part of that review process?

Again, to a degree.

> If releng as a group is okay with the Board granting trademark usage
> to kickstart files that releng hasn't had a say in vetting.... then
> I'm fine with what you are talking about.
>
> But if releng wants to have a technical veto for any spins the Board
> may give trademark usage rights to...then well, releng needs to be
> able to deal with this localization stuff.

Telling people to "deal with this localization stuff" is pretty
useless.  I've voiced concerns with some of the technical issues, as
well as questioned what the overall intention of "spins" is and all
you can say is "deal with it"?

We _are_ dealing with it.  Infrastructure was kind enough to provide
xen instances for spins to be created on.  I'm volunteering to do the
actual spin creation.  Rel-eng is working out a proposal (which I know
various Board members have seen drafts of) for how to handle this.

However, now we're coming back to the Board and asking them to help
with the scope of what officially hosted spins are.  If you want to
have a productive discussion on that, then by all means let's start.  If
not, then I'll just ignore you and wait for someone who does.

Mini-rant aside, there is usually middle ground to be found and I
don't think this issue is an exception.  My brief proposal would be:

1) All kickstart files for a spin, localized or not, are vetted by
rel-eng for a few basic items.

2) "Featured Spins", those with larger content differences, are driven
through the remaining steps by rel-eng of creation, smoke testing/beta,
and final hosting.  Defining what qualifies for this spin "status" is
where we need Board help.  Or maybe we don't if the Board doesn't
care.  Rel-eng could likely make this determination on it's own if the
Board wishes.

3) Smaller spins, such as localized spins, are created and hosted
elsewhere.

I can imagine item #3 gives some people concern, as the final isos
would be created outside of the main fedora infrastructure.  However,
the Fedora Unity project has been doing this for a while now and I
believe they are a _very_ good example of how well it can work.

josh