What makes a spin a Spin?

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 21:16:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Sortof.  It seems that Max wants to empower folks in areas to create
> and share things called Fedora without going through releng / QA
> because releng / QA resources are finite.  I tend to want this too,
> but in a way that the product is labeled as contrib and not official
> Fedora.

Sortof right back at you.

What I want is:

(1) A clear set of guidelines for what it takes for something to be an
official spin.  For example, KDE is an official spin.  Games is an
official spin, right?  So is Electronics Lab.  Is XFCE an official spin?

If I am a person who has created a spin, and I want it to become
"official", I want to know what steps are necessary to take.

I also want to be able to see the .ks files for all the official spins,
because that will help me to create my own spin in a way that is likely
to have a higher initial quality than if I just go off on my own,
because I'm working from a known-good starting point.

(2) A place for people to share the spins that are not "blessed" like
those in group (1).  Perhaps this is just the CustomSpins page on the
Fedora wiki, which can have pointers off to .ks files and hosted spins
elsewhere.

(3) A description of how spins in group (1) should be named, and how
spins in group (2) should be named.

If those things all exist, then any person or entity that is interested
in customizing Fedora can decide which end goal they want to pursue,
because the different expectations (and rewards for meeting those
expectations) are spelled out.

My feeling is that we have talked around a lot of these issues many
times, but never actually codified the decisions in a single place, and
figured out who is responsible for keeping that document updated, or
modifying it when necessary.

--Max