Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2008 is on!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:35:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 01:41 -0600, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> On Monday 25 February 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> >
> > Yep, we've got some stuff started already:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding

[...snip...]
> > The most important thing is:
> >
> > WE NEED GOOD PROJECT IDEAS
> >
> > ... then the kids can put in good proposals:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas
>
> Assuming we are accepted, we can probably expect 3-6 slots, based upon past
> years.  It shouldn't be hard to come up with enough ideas, we just need to
> make sure that the ideas we present are solid and that there is someone
> available to serve as a mentor for each.
>
> The time requirements for mentors will vary, but it is typically a very light
> load.  Anyone who can spare a few hours a week is very welcome to volunteer.

I see there are several ideas listed already -- more importantly, almost
all have people attached to them.

> As for project scope, we'll probably see the best results with projects that
> can be fully completed over the summer, though that's not a requirement.
> Getting a larger project started or making dedicated progress on an existing
> project might also be good uses of the time.

I think we need to be careful about delineating any differences between
the interns and summer coders.  Interns should be expected to perform at
a higher and more intense level of effort.  However, I could see one or
more summer coders working in concert with one or more interns on
related projects.  In that case the mentors for the summer coders should
plan and coordinate with whoever is responsible for the interns in
question.

> While I still believe that the Summer of Code is a great program and an
> excellent opportunity, I would also caution against putting too much energy
> into it.  We probably won't get many slots, and even with 100% success, the
> overall gains to the project probably won't be drastic.  We just need to give
> a little time and effort to make the best possible use of the opportunity.

It's important also that for both interns and summer coders --
especially the former -- that the emphasis be on building things that
are going to be community enablers, preferably visible ones.  Whatever
work is done should be documented to an extent that the community has a
chance to continue working or improving on it as needed.