Reviving the idea of Fedora Mentors?

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 04:12:26 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jef had mentioned using office hours as a basis for keeping IRC helpful.
> We should use that idea to make mentoring into a real commitment.

The problem that I see with "office hours" is that occasionally I need
a break, and go play my PS3, go to the bar (and drink copious amounts
:) ), go to the grocery store, or do something else similarly in Real
Life(TM) that takes me away from the beckon call of IRC. However, what
I *have* done, and encourage others to do, is to set up a GrandCentral
Webcall button on my blog[1].  This allows my phone number to remain
private, however, folks can call me whenever they'd like, even if I'm
engaged in Real Life(TM) activities.  There's more bandwidth available
via voice than IRC anyway.  Unfortunately, it only works for numbers
in the US, but hey, it's better than nothing!  I'm more than willing
to have "office hours" via this (which for my loser self is pretty
much any time after work - or during work if I'm not busy, which is
unpredictable - or during the evenings and weekends).

[1] http://jons-thoughts.blogspot.com