Proposal: Fedora at Home Project

Bryan Che bche at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 17:09:34 UTC 2008

I agree that it's important to be efficient and
environmentally-friendly.  But, the message for this project wouldn't be
  for people to keep "their computers on and busy using as much energy
as possible to process things."  Rather, it's "we have these important
projects that need help.  Please consider contributing computing power
to them."

Perhaps we could provide information about the projects and why they
need help, and we could also make users aware of the costs of
contributing.  Then users could make a choice about whether they want to
opt-in to help these projects.

Nobody wants to waste power.  But, at the same time, there is massive
work to be done.  So, the question is: what is the most efficient way to
do this work?  That's a question worth asking and will take effort to
answer.  But, I'm sure that if we can find solutions, that in itself
would be quite beneficial as other companies could leverage our work to
save power as they deploy grids.

Bryan