Codeina and how to proceed

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Mar 17 22:20:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>  [4] http://gregdek.livejournal.com/24120.html

For what it is worth, I agree with Greg[3]. We know that the mp3
patents are problematic in both the US[1] and Europe[2] and create
restrictions that make mp3s non-free. Either say the mp3 stuff is
non-free and drop it as well as the others, or allow them all. The
middle way is a poor compromise and I'm surprised the board went that
direction.

Luis

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/technology/05music.html
[2] http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9887955-7.html

[3] key section:

"If we're going to basically take the convenience of MP3 that Fluendo
provides because we *can*, but then not provide Fluendo with *any*
upsell opportunities, then we're basically ripping off Fluendo's good
will to make ourselves feel better about our "user experience".

If the Board has decided that they don't want to point to any
"non-free software" at all -- which is a fine stance to take, by the
way -- then remove Codeina entirely. Either have the courage to say
"we don't encourage any non-free software at all," or have the courage
to say "we support your right to choose non-free software, so long as
you obtain it legally, and here's how." Because the current poor
compromise seems to be the worst of both worlds."