Appointment timing

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat May 3 15:09:13 UTC 2008

Both volunteer contributors and Red Hat employees can run for the
upcoming Fedora Projct Board election, and Red Hat is free to appoint an
employee or a volunteer contributor to a Board seat.  (It's always up to
an appointee whether to serve, of course.)

According to the order of operations shown at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/SuccessionPlanning , one appointment
is held back until after the elections.  This allows the Board seats to
be fairly balanced to be as representative of the whole Fedora Project
as possible.  It ensures that we have a good cross-section of the
different skill groups in Fedora.  For example, having the Board lean
too heavily toward packagers, at the expense of developers or collateral
content creators, would make the Board less effective at considering
different sides of an issue.

The Board will announce Red Hat's appointments around the week of May
19th.  Nominations will not close, nor will voting begin, until well
after the appointments are announced.

If the entire process of appointments and elections were to result in a
Board that is made up of a heavy majority of Red Hat employees, I would
recommend that Red Hat balance this with an appointment of a community
member.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend that any interested community members run
for the Board, regardless of their employment status or length of time
working in the Fedora Project, and be confident about their record of
getting things done.  Being a Board member doesn't require any special
qualifications -- other than tenacity and dedication, perhaps. :-)  A
healthy turnout of nominees *AND* voters is very important to this
process!