Fedora and the world

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 15 23:05:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
> For example, if a company or person X wanted to help Fedora they could pay a
>  replicator (or whatever they are called) directly to produce all of the
> media for Fedora X to be handed out events.  This gets Fedora out  of having
> to handle the funds and allows internally allocated funds to then be used
> for other purposes.
>
> Perhaps this would cause other accounting/reporting problems... I don't
> know.

I believe we have a FreeMedia project run by community that is
self-sufficient and does exactly this sort of thing... or we did.

But we could use funding for a lot of different things....for example
travel grants to get important community developers to events. Not
just Fudcons...but conferences where they can go to their peers in
whatever area they work in and talk about Fedora in an effort to get
new people using and contributing.  An investment in travel funds so
high impact people can network with a large group of potential
contributors is a sure bet. As a board member, I would absolutely LOVE
to be able to put forward a group of...missionaries... hand them a
plane ticket and a hotel voucher and send them off into the world to
convert the masses..opportunistically. Like when when the Electronics
Labs Spin was first released. I was chomping at the bit to get
Chitlesh out talking to engineers who use that sort of software.  And
there's absolutely no reason that Red Hat should be expected to do all
of that sort of expensing.  Other entities and individuals who grok
the benefits of an expanding contributor base could chip in on that.

-jef"And as always, I'm more than willing to talk to a sugar-daddy who
can help me build a large enough monetary trust to create and sustain
a Open Source Developer Retreat in the Alaskan wilderness, where
individuals compete for residence terms like artists would do in an
artist colony"spaleta