Fedora 11 schedule proposal

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 21:29:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 16:10 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 02:25:18PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > > Sure, but I'm not sure pretending we won't slip is viable. If we do
> > > take the 'attempt to make it up over two cycles' method, then this proposed
> > > schedule is only a 1-1/2 to 2 week adjustment to that. So I don't think
> > > it's that far out of line.
> >
> > Until we slip from the schedule, at which point it's more like 4-5
> > weeks.
>
> I think this assertion assumes the more granular revision in freeze
> periods is not going to have any effect on slippage.

That's true, it does.  But that's because in the land of risk
management, you want to err on the side of what has happened in the
past[1] as opposed to what you hope will be the outcome of a new process
or change to an existing one.

Jeremy

[1] Well, there are tools that let you do probabilistic estimation based
on optimistic estimates of the future.  But you still have to take into
account the past norms and outliers when doing so.