TM approval request for Summit spin

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 14:15:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 04:54:07PM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On 08/02/2009 12:01 AM, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Paul W. Frields<stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> * Includes Anaconda fixes as represented in Jeroen's F11 repo:
> >>  http://kanarip.com/anaconda/f11/i386/
> >
> > In some conversations tonight this might be a showstopper for use of
> > the Fedora marks, since we're including non-Fedora software on the
> > spin, it could be at best called a remix.  Of course, if we can get
> > the anaconda team to release it as an official update, problem
> > solved......
>
> <pretend_lawyer>
> Keep in mind that the Fedora Board can give it trademark approval
> anyways. The Board can give a dead armadillo corpse approval to use the
> Fedora logo if they choose to.
> </pretend_lawyer>

Correct.  I knew full well in this case we were dealing with a piece
of *ostensibly* non-Fedora software -- albeit that the anaconda branch
in use is our copy, plus some cherry-picked patches that are also from
the upstream anaconda.  AFAIK there are no alien bits that are part of
the updates Joeroen puts together with input from David Cantrell and
other Red Hat folks.  My purpose in providing the updates was to
ensure that recipients at the Summit had the maximum ability to have a
good installation experience via the 'liveinst' binary.

Be that as it may, it's up to the Board whether they want to grant TM
approval for this spin.  If the Board decides I need to drop back to
the stock Anaconda, I'll do so, but we need to get this decided
pronto, since I am under a deadline to get this image to the USB
vendor who's doing to duplicate these for distribution to all the Red
Hat Summit attendees.