website mockups, what is fedora?

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 17:57:09 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter said the following on 08/21/2009 07:04 AM Pacific Time:
> OK, I get the idea behind all of this, really I do.  Much of it is
> great, but let me share what's been nagging at the back of my mind for
> some time.  It's just been hard to put into words, so I'll try my best
> here.
>
> Let's get back to the question: What is Fedora?

The question of "What is Fedora" has still not adequately been answered
for me.  Refocusing the download page is *part* of getting to answering
the question, but I still do not believe we are as clear as we could be
about what we *are* (present) and what we *want* to be (future).  I
realize others believe that defining it too much will stifle the project.

> I thought a general consensus was something akin to: a solid flexible
> base distro technology that can be used for many different purposes

I think this is a definition we have historically held to, but to me it
is too vague and uninspiring.  It lacks focus.  It tries to be too many
things to too many people.  It is a recipe for mediocrity, not
excellence.  I am not saying it cannot be one part of what we are, but
if that is the sole definition of what we are and what we want to be,
then we are destined to be "good," but never "great."

I want Fedora to be great.  I cannot think of a super successful project
or company that has 'been all things to all people.' They are usually
very good because they focus on a few things and work on doing those
things very well.  Fedora still needs to be clearer about what things we
want to do very well.  And when we pick those things they need to be
things we can measure and evaluate--another behavior of very successful
companies.  I realize Fedora is not a "company", but I think the
principle still applies.

 > Then, look at the new website mockups.
 >
 > (perceived) Answer: Fedora is the fedora-desktop spin

The website mockups are meant to address the requirements specified by
the board and discussion on this list.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009

If the requirements are wrong, then that is separate discussion that we
should have.  Does there need to be more discussion around the requirements?

John