website mockups, what is fedora?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 21 19:04:47 UTC 2009

On 08/21/2009 10:14 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
>> There is a clear trade-off here - either you "do wrong" by the
>> community, or you "do wrong" by users who want to try your distro but
>> run away screaming because you've confused and scared them.
>
> Thank you (and others!) for the thoughtful replies, there's a lot there
> think and munch on.
>
> I guess it's just many (including myself) failed to see any evidence or
> justification for the claims of "confused/scared new users" and the
> current greatly simplified design choice.    And... because the board
> says so, continues to not be all that satisfying.

I spend quite a lot of time in the community forums answering newbie
questions and users do get confused quite a bit on what to download. I
know it doesn't really match the KDE perspective of things but more
choices do confuse people. They do not necessarily understand x86_32 vs
x86_64 or GNOME vs KDE or what an ISO image is or how to actually burn
them etc. Now the approach to solving that problem might actually be
different to the current design but the problem is real.

If you want to see this for yourself, grab a few non technical end users
and show them

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora (current)

vs

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all (previous default page)