website mockups, what is fedora?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:18:53 UTC 2009

On 08/21/2009 11:53 AM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>>> I think one of the main misunderstandings/miscommunications about this
>>> redesign is why we are doing it. The goals of this redesign, from my
>>> understanding, is:
>>>
>>> 1) To grow adoption of Fedora by new prospective users
>>>
>>> 2) To grow community involvement in Fedora by growing the base of users
>>> from which we can recruit community members.
>>>
>>> Let me remind you of one more goal I think we *all* share (and as sad as
>>> it may be, is certainly one of my main goals in life):
>>>
>>> 3) To grow the general acceptance and usage of free & open source
>>> software.
>>>

>> Okay, so the first question is:  Fedora Board, are these the goals
>> you've handed off to the design team?  I don't see them listed on:
>>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009
>>
>> Goals seem pretty important.  More important than the target audience
>> even.  Those should be written down.
>>

> I think the specific goal(s) we're looking for with this discusion is
> entirely based around simplifying the get-fedora page.  But to do that we
> realized we needed to beef up the spins page as to not sweep other spins
> under the rug.

Simplifying is not a goal.  Making it easier for our target audience to
get Fedora is a goal.  Getting more of our target audience to download
and try out Fedora is a goal.  Getting more of our target audience to
fall in love with Fedora is a goal.

Simplifying the download page is one means towards those ends.

The conflicting goals that I'm (possibly falsely) seeing are:

* Retention of existing contributors
* Growth of Fedora user base
* Growth of Fedora contributors

Simplifying the get-fedora page is aimed at growing the userbase in
total.  But the argument is being made that the new design will hurt
the ability of some areas of the project to retain and grow the
contributor base.  I think that beefing up the spins page is aimed at
rectifying that but it doesn't help if people who are looking to
download fedora aren't being enticed to click to the spins page.

-Toshio