website mockups, what is fedora?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:39:29 UTC 2009

On 08/21/2009 12:44 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 12:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Simplifying the get-fedora page is aimed at growing the userbase in
>> total.  But the argument is being made that the new design will hurt
>> the ability of some areas of the project to retain and grow the
>> contributor base.
>
> The spins aren't the only other areas of the project.

Correct.  Could you point out where I'm saying they are?

>>   I think that beefing up the spins page is aimed at
>> rectifying that but it doesn't help if people who are looking to
>> download fedora aren't being enticed to click to the spins page.
>
> Who wants to click on the spins page?

That's in the first part of my post here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-August/msg00049.html

Summarised: New and curious users (which I argue is really anyone that
gets as far as wanting to run Fedora) whose strategy for learning is to
read about things instead of downloading a livecd and trying it out
(which is not everyone and why having a prominent default spin in
addition to directing people to the spins page *is* a good idea).

> Who do we want to click on the spin page?

I think the same people as who want to click there.  After all, if they
want to click through to the spins page, why are we trying to stop them.

-Toshio