website mockups, what is fedora?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 03:36:43 UTC 2009

2009/8/21 Máirín Duffy <mairin at linuxgrrl.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 12:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Simplifying the get-fedora page is aimed at growing the userbase in
>> total.  But the argument is being made that the new design will hurt
>> the ability of some areas of the project to retain and grow the
>> contributor base.
>
> The spins aren't the only other areas of the project.
>
>>   I think that beefing up the spins page is aimed at
>> rectifying that but it doesn't help if people who are looking to
>> download fedora aren't being enticed to click to the spins page.
>
> Who wants to click on the spins page?
>
> Who do we want to click on the spin page?

I think those are good questions to look at. What we are looking at is
for people who want to experiment and play around with things.. be a
bit adventurous. For most new people what they want is a dvd or cdrom
that will get them stuff to play with, install once, and then probably
throw away :(.

To be honest, desktops are the WRONG religious argument to be having.
It distracts from the key points of getting people to not throw
away/uninstall the system but to learn how to use it and what they get
from it. The amount of energy we are spending on this argument should
be put on the HARD problem: How do you let the person make an informed
decision on whether they want to keep using it or not.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning