website mockups, what is fedora?

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 06:01:27 UTC 2009

*sigh* Using KMail now with mail delivery on and now I forget to check the receiver.

On Saturday 22 August 2009 00:21:26 you wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 00:15 -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> >
> > I've had to talk people through drag and drop. If I gave them a
> > link to a page with an ISO and *complete* instructions, they'd
> > still call me for help. This is how I feel most technophobic
> > people see computers and what the new download page is
> > attempting to target.
>
> The requirements make it quite clear we are not targeting absolute
> n00bs. We're targeting folks who know how to drive a machine but simply
> don't have Linux or open source experience.
>
> The page is not trying to target Grandma. Believe me, it would look a
> LOT different if it was.
With my mockup (I have yet to get an official opinion from the KDE SIG due to the time of day), the new user should be attracted to the big button at the top while still keeping the fact that Fedora has more to offer up front and center.

> > I think we should be able to have some way of putting the DEs on
> > one page and yet still be able to get the attention of new users
> > to get the default.
> >

> As I challenged you to do earlier, show me the mockup. I've tried to
> make it and pkilled inkscape in utter disgust. Lack of design skills is
> no excuse - make squares on a canvas and label each with where you'd
> have these things go. A wireframe is fine.
Well, I ended up just using a GUI designer since neither raster nor vector editor has treated me well (the SVG editing I've done was with KWrite/Gwenview). Screenshot attached.

> > That would be good :) . I still think not at least giving them
> > equal footing with GNOME is wrong, but it's a start.
>
> Did you not look at the spins mockup? The desktop spin is placed on
> there no more prominently than any other spin.
On the spins page. Not on the main download page. One foot is equal, but the other is on a pedestal.

> ~m

--Ben